Tuesday 12 February 2019

Lets Get Cooking

Being a busy business owner and working late hours, it is hard to have sit down meal. Add to that the winter 'blahs' when you are feeling unadventurous in the kitchen. This combination screams quick and typically unhealthy meal choices. 

All I want is good tasting, quick preparation and healthy foods. 


This year I am determined to try some new recipes that can become my quick go to's and still be nutritious. 



For Christmas a friend bought me 'Oh She Glows Every Day' by Angela Liddon and that was the spark I needed.  Another place I find inspiration is on Instagram. Following nutrition, fitness and vegetarian/vegan people have opened my eyes to some great and healthy ideas.


Using these avenues I am going to give you some of my tried , tested and delicious foods with the hope you get the inspiration you need to make easy and healthy food choices! 

*If you try any of these please share and tag @coachhousetc so I can see your creations! 

Breakfast 

PANCAKES 


A filling breakfast jammed packed with protein and minimal ingredients. It is going to sound a little strange but try it, trust me it is a household pleaser. 


Ingredients


  • 4 eggs
  • 2 mashed bananas 
  • optional 1tbs almond flour or 1/4 cup oatmeal 

That's right, 2 ingredients. The optional ingredients are if you would like thicker pancakes. 

Mash the 2 bananas, mix in your eggs and let sit while you heat your pan with coconut oil. 
This is the foundation, you can add spices (cinnamon, vanilla extract, cardamon, pumpkin pie spice etc) for extra flavour if you desire. 

In this picture the toppings are fresh cherries, cacao nibs and coconut cream.



SMOOTHIE


I love smoothies for breakfast. 

They are nutritiously dense, when you make them right, and so versatile. Usually I blend, pour it into a mason jar and head out the door. This was a slower morning and I decided to get a little fancier by putting it in a bowl and sprinkling some toppings for added 'WOW'. 
This was the first smoothie I tried from 'Oh She Glows Every Day' but it will not be my last. 

'Green Matcha Mango Ginger Smoothie' , topped with some shredded coconut, mango pieces and a few pistachios. I added vanilla protein powder and used frozen over fresh mango. 







Ingredients 

(makes two bowls)


  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup of frozen mango chunks
  • 1 frozen banana 
  •  2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp matcha powder
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 2 tsp lime juice

I put all in the blender and blended until smooth. Since I used frozen fruit I didn't add ice but if you want it colder or thicker add some ice cubes. 




OATMEAL

 Recently I purchased an Instant Pot and one of the recipes I make frequently, is steel cut oatmeal from Oh She Glows. This is the creamiest oatmeal that stores well for the week ahead.  

Follow Oh She Glows Steel Cut for directions with an instant pot or stove top. 





ENHANCEMENTS

This granola is great to sprinkle on your smoothie bowl, chia seed pudding, pancakes, oatmeal or even nice cream.

I , once again, used 'Oh She Glows Every Day' as inspiration with a little twist. 

Once you get the basic idea add the seeds or nuts of your desire. Next time I might add some dried cranberries or cherries. 







Ingredients 

  • 2 cups oats 
  • 2 cups coconut chips 
  • 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1/2 cup hemp hearts 
  • 2 tbs coconut sugar
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1 tbs cinnamon 
  • 2 tbs sunflower seed butter
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil 
  • 1/3 raw sunflower seeds

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Heat the oven to 300 degrees and line your baking pan with parchment paper. 

Spread your mixture evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.  Pour the mixture back in the bowl and shake it up and place back on baking sheet to cook for another 10 minutes. 

Once cool store your granola in mason jars with silica packs, to keep it crisp.



CRUSTLESS QUICHE 

You can't beat eggs for breakfast, and this healthy crust-less quiche helps use up veggies in the fridge.


Grease your 8 inch pie pan, I used coconut oil on a paper towel and rubbed it on my pie pan.

In a bowl beat 6 free range eggs with 1/2 tsp of water (I was told it will make it fluffier so I continue to do it). Add the chopped veggie you crave (I add some broccoli florets, chopped mushrooms, green pepper and some crumbles of feta cheese).




Pour mixture in the pie pan and cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until center is solid. 

I slice it up and place in glass containers in the fridge. An easy snack or a quick heat up breakfast. 




Snacks 

SOY ROASTED ALMONDS


Roasting almonds are so easy and yet this is my first time doing them!


Ingredients 



  • 1 cup raw almonds
  • 2 tbs soy sauce (or coconut aminos)

Set the oven to 325 degrees. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Mix almond and sauce in a bowl. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 10 min. 
*Next time I am going to do a hot sauce style! 

I used these nuts as a salad topper, mixed in with my trail mix for a handful for a snack on their own. 





TAHINI PISTACHIO BANANA BREAD


I am not much of a baker! I like no bake desserts or protein balls. That is pretty much my comfort zone, yet today I went out on a limb. 

Today I made Paleomg's Tahini Pistachio Banana Bread and look at that, it turned out! 

You are going to love the minimal ingredients and easy steps. 

Next time I will double the spices (cinnamon and cardamon) because I wanted it to be a little more spicy :)










ALMOND BUTTER CUPS

I am re-sharing this Almond Butter Cup from 'Thrive Energy' cookbook because its just that good and different! There are a few steps but do not let that discourage you. It is still easier than oven baking and it is all worth it in the end. 

Ingredients



Crust
  • 3 cups of  raw almonds
  • 1 cup of walnuts
  • 1/4 cup cacao nibs
  • 6 pitted dates soaked
  • 3 TBSP maple syrup

Filling
  • 1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil 
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup 
  • 1/3 cup almond butter 
  • 1/4 cup almond milk 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
Topping Chocolate Sauce
  • 1 cup cacao powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tbsp water 


In food processor or powerful blender, combine the almonds and walnuts until they are in small pieces. Add cacao nibs and pulse until they are the same size as the nuts. Add dates and syrup and pulse until a dough forms. Press into your tin with a centre cavity for filling.

Blend all ingredients of filling until smooth. Divide into the crust molds and refrigerate until smooth (about an hour, depending on size)

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Place a drop onto the cups with the filling, once hardened. Keep in air tight container in the fridge or freezer.


Entrees 

CHICKEN 4 WAYS

No one likes dry and bland chicken. If you want 4 easy marinades to please your taste buds, I have a few right here. 


While scrolling through Instagram, I came across Eat The Gains blog. She follows The Whole 30 and has 5 styles of marinade but I only did 4 of them, because I ran out of chicken. 


Following the picture layout;Top left: COCONUT CURRY

  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbs green curry paste
  • 1 tbs curry powder (hot)
  • 1 tbs lime juice 
  • salt and pepper pinches 




Top right: CHILI LIME



  • 3 tbs lime juice
  • 1 tbs avocado oil
  • 1 medium red chili pepper sliced
  • salt and pepper pinches




Bottom left: CITRUS ROSEMARY 
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tbs lime juice
  • 1 tbs orange juice
  • 1 tbs avocado oil
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper pinches





Bottom right: CINNAMON BASIL I was most concerned about this one. Basil and cinnamon... but its really good! 
  • 2 tbs avocado oil
  • 3 tbs dried basil
  • 1 tbs cinnamon
  • salt and pepper pinches

I did them all at once and kept them in the fridge/freezer. Try to allow the marinade to soak into your chicken for a few hours before cooking.

When you are ready to cook, my preferred cooking method is always BBQ but I know it is cold out so oven works too. As long as the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees, you are good to eat! 




SOBA NOODLE SALAD 
This is a great salad alternative from the spinach and lettuce base we always go to. It is colourful and delicious so brighten up your winter nights by giving this one a go. 

I followed 'Oh She Glows Everyday' recipe and added some extra veggies. 


Dressing Ingredients 
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil (toasted or untoasted your choice) 
  • 3 TBS rice vinegar
  • 1 TBS tahini
  • 1 TBS maple syrup 
  • 1 TBS low-sodium soy or tamari
Place all ingredients in a mason jar, screw on lid and shake to mix. 

Salad Ingredients
  • 1 pack of soba noodles (following cooking directions) 
  • 1 red bell pepper diced 
  • 1 yellow pepper diced
  • 3 green onions chopped 
  • 1 avocado sliced
  • 1 mango sliced
  • 1 cup of cilantro minced 
  • Protein source- I did tofu which i fried in a cast iron pan with coconut oil and sprinkled garlic and onion powder on. You can also add chicken, shrimp or beef. 
Garnish 
  • Sriracha if you need some spice
  • freshly squeezed lime juice over salad before serving 
  • 1 TBS sesame seeds






You can serve the soba salad warm or cold, so it makes for great leftovers at work. Use the salad as ground zero and get creative with what you add to it to change the texture and taste. I may try zucchini noodles or rice noodles instead of soba next time.




I hope you found a recipe or two you can try this weekend to jazz up meals at home. Become re-inspired with your cooking and give yourself the gift of eating well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment