Cuddle up, its soup season!
This is a classic from one of my favourite recipe magazines, the LCBO Food and Drink! They suggest you can use pumpkin but I decided to use butternut squash and I am glad I did!
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped onion
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled and chopped apples
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground allspice
- Tiny pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 5 cups (1.25 L) bone broth stock (recipe on blog)
or you can use organic stock or Stock Exchange stock if desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Remove from heat, blend until smooth with a hand
blender or in a food processor.
In a large pot, melt the
butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3
minutes. Add the pumpkin and apples and cook until softened, another 3 minutes.
Add the brown sugar and spices then pour over the stock and simmer for 30
I garnished mine with some
fresh thyme and oven roasted pecans ( dry roast pecans at 350 for 10 min) and a
sprinkled with powdered sage when they were cooling.
It is a winner in my books!
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 organic apple (I used Fuji) peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of each hazel nut and pecan chopped
- Sprinkle of fresh thyme
- Sprinkle of sage (i used powered)
- 6 cups of bone broth or another stock
- 4 cups of chopped kale with centre - stem removed
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. add onion and cook until lightly golden, 5 min. Add apple, nuts, thyme, sage and stock. Bring to a boil for 10 min. Stir in kale and cook for an additional 4 min.
Using a hand blender or placing cooled soup in blender, puree.
Season with slat and pepper.
Use fried mushrooms as garnish.
Final soup for today...
1 tbsp oil
1 cup chopped onion (from 1 medium-large onion)
1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed, if less heat is preferred)
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 can (400 mL/14 oz) coconut milk
3 cups bone broth or organic veg/chicken broth
1/3 cup natural peanut butter, i used crunchy but you can use smooth if desired
3 tbsp minced fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
salt, to taste
1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot, i use cast iron, over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until just softened. Add jalapeno and garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in curry paste.
- Add chopped sweet potato, coconut milk and bone broth. Cover and cook until sweet potato is soft, approx. 20 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender
- Stir in peanut butter, you can blend again if you used crunchy and would like it to be smoother
- Sprinkle cilantro and a pinch of salt. Stir, and adjust salt to taste. Add cayenne if additional heat is desired.